The following descriptions are loosely based on the national Chapter Guidebook, but modified to fit our local chapter.
The five major officers (president, vice-president, treasurer, secretary, and membership chair) are required and are voted in for one-year terms. There is no term limit for any office, and one person may hold more than one office simultaneously.
President. The President will be in charge of the business, provide leadership, and facilitate chapter operations. Duties include:
- Ensure that chapter activities meet the national Wild Ones requirements.
- Lead chapter meetings.
- Promote the mission of Wild Ones within the community.
- Complete the required State of the Chapter Report by the end of the year.
- Review the Treasurer’s work, assist with budget, and be a co-signer for finances.
- Represent chapter on committees of other conservation groups, as requested.
- Serve as an ex-officio member of chapter committees.
Vice President. The Vice President will assist the President and assume the President’s duties when necessary. Other duties include:
- Become familiar with all national policies and procedures and assist with their implementation at the local chapter level.
- Serve as a committee or project chair, as needed (for example, serve as Program Chair to secure speakers for meetings).
Treasurer. The Treasurer is the principal financial officer of the chapter. This role should rarely involve more than a 1 to 2 hours per month commitment. Duties include:
- Oversee chapter financial accounts.
- Maintain accounting of all income and expenses, including the Chapter Financial Report due at the end of January.
- Oversee all transactions (typically less than 5 transactions per month) which consist mostly of the receiving or sending of paper or electronic checks.
- Maintain accurate bookkeeping records to facilitate the completion of the year-end report to the national office (due at the end of January).
- Work with the board to create a budget for the chapter.
Secretary. The secretary maintains the records of chapter business. Duties include:
- Record and distribute the minutes of all business meetings and board meetings.
- Prepare correspondence as needed.
- Maintain minutes and correspondence (on our Google Drive).
- Assist with elections.
Membership Chair. The membership chair maintains the membership records for the chapter. Duties include:
- Maintain the MailChimp mailing list making sure the membership segment matches the national membership list.
- Welcome new members.
- Alert members when their membership is near lapsing.
- Encourage new memberships.
- Conduct member interest surveys and report results to the board for planning purposes.