The following list of books is a work in progress. Some of the books span multiple categories, but are placed in just one.
General Books on the Value of Native Plants
- Tallamy, Douglas W. Bringing Nature Home. Timber Press, 2007.
- Wilson, Edward O. Half-Earth. Liveright Publishing, 2016.
- Tallamy, Douglas W. Nature’s Best Hope. Timber Press, 2019.
- Tallamy, Douglas W. The Nature of Oaks. Timber Press, 2021 (to be released March 30, 2021).
- Midgley, Jan W. All About Tennessee Wildflowers. Sweetwater Press, 1999.
- Carman, Jack B. Wildflowers of Tennessee. Highland Rim Press, 2001.
- Horn, Dennis, et al. Wildflowers of Tennessee, the Ohio Valley, and the Southern Appalachians. Lone Pine Publishing, 2018.
- Jones, Ronald L., and Wofford, B. Eugene. Woody Plants of Kentucky and Tennessee: The Complete Winter Guide to Their Identification and Use. University Press of Kentucky, 2013.
- Simard, Suzanne. Finding the Mother Tree. Knopf, 2021.
- Williams, Michael D. Identifying Trees of the East: An All-Season Guide to Eastern North America. Stackpole Books, 2017.
All Vascular Plants
- Tennessee Flora Committee. Guide to the Vascular Plants of Tennessee. University of Tennessee Press, 2015.
- Holm, Heather. Bees: An Identification and Native Plant Forage Guide. Pollination Press LLC, 2017
- Venable, Rita. Butterflies of Tennessee. Maywood Publishing, 2014.
- Holm, Heather. Wasps. Pollinator Press, 2021.
Garden Design and Reference Books
Attracting Pollinators and Birds to the Garden
- Holm, Heather. Pollinators of Native Plants. Pollinator Press LLC, 2014.
- The Xerces Society. Attracting Native Pollinators, Storey Publishing, 2011.
- The Xerces Society. Gardening for Butterflies, Timber Press, 2016.
- Sorenson, Sharon. Planting Native to Attract Birds to Your Yard. Stackpole Books, 2018.
Gardening and Landscape Design
- Dove, Tony, Woolridge, Ginger. Essential Native Trees and Shrubs for the Eastern United States. Charlesbridge, 2018.
- Darke, Rick, and Tallamy, Douglas W. The Living Landscape: Designing for Beauty and Biodiversity in the Home Garden. Timber Press, 2016.
- Mellichamp, Larry, and Gross, Paula. The Southeast Native Plant Primer: 225 Plants for an Earth-Friendly Garden. Timber Press, 2020.
- Rainer, Thomas, and West, Claudia. Planting in a Post-Wild World: Designing Plant Communities for Resilient Landscapes. Timber Press, 2016.
- Christopher, Thomas, and Weaner, Larry. Garden Revolution: How Our Landscapes Can Be a Source of Environmental Change. Timber Press, 2016.
- Hunter, Margie. Gardening with the Native Plants of Tennessee. The University of Tennessee Press, 2002.
Comprehensive Tree Landscaping (including exotics)
The title of the section really should have been “Tree Books that are Almost 1,000 Pages Long and Weigh over 7 Pounds.”
- Dirr, Michael A. Manual of Woody Landscape Plants. Stipes Publishing, 2009.
- Dirr, Michael A. Dirr’s Encyclopedia of Trees and Shrubs. Timber Press, 2016.
- Dirr, Michael A., and Warren, Keith S.. The Tree Book: Superior Selections for Landscapes, Streetscapes, and Gardens. Timber Press, 2019.
Native Plant Propagation
- Midgley, Jan A. W. Native Plant Propagation. Fifth Edition. Jan A. W. Midgley, 2020.
- Bir, Richard E. Growing & Propagating Showy Native Woody Plants. The University of North Carolina Press, 1992.
- Cullina, William. The New England Wild Flower Society Guide to Growing and Propagating Wildflowers of the United States and Canada. United States, Houghton Mifflin Company, 2000.